As we enter a new year, we reflect on an incredible year filled with gratitude for and celebration of all the “folk” who have made this event possible for the past 5 years:
- 156,000 attendees who contributed $70,000 (a record high!) to the Bucket Brigade
- 1,000+ volunteers filling 1,800 shifts
- 5 outdoor stages plus 9 indoor venues
- 45 groups in 106 performances on 5 outdoor stages & 9 indoor venues
- 7 performances in Guilford County Public Schools for hundreds of children
- Over 250 individual performing and visual artists!
- 70 sponsors
- Over 100 professional unsung production crew who worked behind the scenes to run the stages and build/strike the festival site.
The numbers tell an important part of our festival story, and with it the NC Folk Fest team reflects on the feedback we receive from performers, staff members, supporters, and audience members to inform the plans we make for growing and enhancing the festival experience in Greensboro for 2020.
So, what can you expect at the NC Folk Festival in 2020?
While many ideas and plans are still brewing, here are a few things we can share:
- More North Carolina From performers on stage to interactive folklife demonstrations – we will celebrate the richness of cultural expression that emanates from and thrives in the Tar Heel state!
- NC Folk A’Fare This taste of Greensboro with a global flare will be our second annual pre-festival fundraising event and celebration of the diverse local cuisine that whets our palettes year-round. NC Folk A’Fare tickets will go on sale in late Spring 2020, and the event will be held on the festival site just days before the 2020 event.
- Family Activities and Performances A fresh new look to our popular family programming is in the works – with more performances and activities for every member of the family to enjoy!
- Much more!
Be sure to look for more communications from us in the New Year as we share news of what we’re cooking up for 2020…And don’t forget to invite your friends and family to join you in Greensboro the weekend of September 11-13, 2020.
Thank you for being part of the “folk” who make up the NC Folk Fest! Here’s to a great year ahead!
NC Folk Fest Staff and Board of Directors